The essential reading list for stepparents.
We have Brits, Australians, Canadians, Kenyans, and an awful lot of Americans – it’s a global thing baby. This blog is not sponsored, and all of the below are set out purely because they’re useful and/or have been referenced in the articles.
Books – Stepmother Specific
- How to be a Happy Stepmum – Lisa Doodson 
- Stepmonster – Wednesday Martin 
- The Step Parents’ Parachute – Flora McEvedy 
- The Stepmoms’ Club – Kendall Rose 
- We’re Still Family – Constance Ahrons 
Books – Further Reading
- Crucial Conversations – Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan and Al Switzler 
- Invisible Women – Caroline Criado Perez 
- Period Power – Maisie Hill 
- The Book You Wish Your Parents Had Read (and Your Children Will Be Glad That You Did) – Philippa Perry 
Books – Black Lives Matter
This list follows on from the blog post Raising Our Children to be Anti-racist.
For younger readers:
- Love Me, Share Me – Clarise Bradly (co-parenting specific)
- Little Leaders – Bold Women in Black History – Vashti Harrison
- I Am Enough – Grace Byers
- Sulwe – Lupia Nyong’o, Vashti Harrison
- Henry’s Freedom Box – Ellen Levine
- Freedom We Sing – Amyra León
For Stepmothers and Young Adult Stepchildren
- A Jigsaw of Fire and Stars – Yaba Badoe
- Black and British: A Forgotten History – David Olusoga
- Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race – Reni Eddo-Lodge
- How to Argue With a Racist – Adam Rutherford
Magazines and Blogs
- Stepmom Magazine (now also a chat forum for subscribers)
- Stepparent Magazine (for which I am also a contributor)
- Stepmom Social Club
- Stepping Through
- Mother of all Lists
Stepparent Instagram Personalities and Accounts
A small list in the grand scheme, but the below will lead you down a dark Instagram hole from which you won’t want to escape. Regularly updated.
- @thestepmumcollective – a new account in 2021, doing great things with giving a voice to UK stepmothers in particular.
- @ukstepmum – currently fighting for stepparent fertility rights.
- @_charlottegough – just such a genuinely lovely lady! If you’re spiritual and/or interested in self care, she’s the one to follow.
And the accounts I rate States side…
- @radicalstepmomspodcast – love love love this account (as do 11k others). The way she articulates the darker stepparent thoughts is just magic.
- @blendcredible – the bio-dad and stepfather’s perspective. Account is currently inactive but loads of good stuff on there still.
- @blendedandblack – focussing on bringing people together and finding harmony within stepfamilies.
- @wickedstepmom – thoroughly enjoy the writing here. Also deals with infertility struggles and being a childless stepmother.
- @theinclusivestepmom – beautiful pictures, and an expert in LGBTQ dynamics.
- @stepmomming – a comforting account, aimed towards the struggling stepmother with a “been there” tone.
- @blendedfamilyfrappe – irreverent, with a focus on the ugly, difficult parts of stepfamily life. A fellow “you are not alone” advocate.
- Childless Stepmums
- UK Step Mum Support – group on Facebook (Charlotte Gough also happens to be an admin – see Instagram account above)
- Parental Alienation: Cafcass (Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Services)
- Parenting and Family Support: Family Lives (UK Charity)
- The Law: Rights of Women UK – Family Law
For the Scholarly Stepmother
- Lisa Doodson’s thesis on understanding the Stepmother’s Role (includes analysis of depression and anxiety rates).
- Difference in Mental Health Between Adults in Stepfamilies and ‘First Families’ – Edinburgh University, 2011.
- Meet the Stepparents – Financial Times, Nov 2018